**Please visit me at my new blog, My Nearly Empty Nest, for more great ideas!**
Okay.....these projects are taking FOREVER! I've put so much work into them already and it seems like I am still so far away from completion. I thought I would be done in a couple of days but I'm already on three and it looks like tomorrow before one is actually done. So here are some "in progress" updates:
Project #3: Update Oldest Son's Room
This project includes painting his room, painting his bed, rearranging furniture, and creating a new desk area (as mentioned in this post). Early on I was able to get the bed spray painted. It's an old cast iron bed that my mother got at a yard sale for $5 when I started college. The white paint just really wasn't him so it went black to work with his existing bedding. Three cans of Rustoleum Satin Black was all it took.
I was also able to get his room painted. In order to keep his room within a reasonable budget I used the $5 can of oops paint that I used in the boys' bathroom earlier this year. There was still 3/4 of a can left so I was certain I had enough.......or did I? The blue was really hard to cover with the lighter gray and needed two coats. I did manage to get it painted without blue splotches but had to literally scrape the can to get it.
I also got his furniture rearranged so the odd little bump out would now be able to house his computer and desk. This is where I'm running into things taking forever. In this post, I was pumped about building an entire desk to custom fit in the area but I was able to find a glass top computer desk that was the right size and color for his room. Plus he liked it. This purchase left me only need to build the unit to house the computer. As you can see it is in pieces with just primer on it. I've dry fit it to the area and am excited about getting it done but it is a slow process.
I also plan on making some faux roman shades for the windows. Then his room will be done. I hope he likes it since he's away at Govenor's Scholars Program for the next three weeks.
Project #4: Update Youngest Son's Room
This should be an easier task than the other bedroom redo since I'm not painting the walls or the bed. This was to be simply rearranging furniture, making another faux roman shade and creating a desk area out of an old door that I picked up at ReStore here. The desk again has slowed me down. I am actually working on both desk simulatenously since they require several of the same processes. Not much to show "in progress" here except for one of the primed pieces in the above photo.
Hopefully the oldest's desk will be complete tomorrow and the youngest's by Saturday. Fingers crossed I'll have a wonderful reveal to show you tomorrow!
All photos property of Honeysuckle on the Vine.